Roger’s been writing for as long as he can remember, even back in grade school. He was editor of his junior high, high school and college newspapers, and then worked for the San Diego Evening Tribune and the Chicago Daily News. He was variously a sportswriter, reporter, copy editor and columnist. Later he had a career in public relations and marketing before finally sitting down to tackle that first historical novel. Roger minored in history and has a special interest in modern history, ranging from the American Revolution up through the 20th Century World Wars and beyond.
He has lectured at Northwestern University, the University of California, and San Diego State University.
Career Highlights Include:
- Founder and principal of Conlee Communications, a public relations and marketing firm now inactive.
- Former features staffer, copy editor and men’s fashion columnist, CHICAGO DAILY NEWS. Former chief copy editor and sportswriter, SAN DIEGO EVENING TRIBUNE.
- Former Communications Director, San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce.
- Winner of the Action/Thriller Fiction Award in the 2010 San Diego Book Awards for The Hindenburg Letter.
- Winner of the Fantasy/Science Fiction Award in the 2007 San Diego Book Awards for Counterclockwise.
- Distinguished Honor Award for Every Shape, Every Shadow, Military Writers Society of America, 2006.
- “One of the 100 Best Short Stories of the Year,” WRITERS’ DIGEST, 1997.
- The Nonfiction Award, Southern California Writers’ Conference, 1995.
- Current member of the Board of Directors of the Balboa Park Conservancy.
- Past president of Balboa Park Central.
- Current member and past director of the San Diego Press Club.
- Past director of the San Diego County chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).
- Past board member of the San Diego State University Alumni Association.
- Past president of the San Diego Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA).
- Recipient of PRSA’s Eva Irving Achievement Award, 1996.
- Former San Diego Public Relations Professional of the Year.
- Past board member of the American Cancer Society, San Diego Section.